Jacob’s Heart Children’s Cancer Support Services exists to improve the quality of life for children with cancer and support their families in the challenges they face.
We provide family-centered care that addresses the emotional, practical and financial struggles for families of children and teens during treatment, families experiencing anticipatory grief and those who are bereaved.
We envision a community where every child with a serious or life-threatening condition has a strong, supported and informed family empowered to fully participate in their care. We strive to inspire compassionate action within local communities to create a safety net of support for the unique needs of each child and family.
Since 1998, we’ve served hundreds of children and thousands of their family members who have heard the devastating words, “Your child has cancer.” Through the years we have celebrated remission for hundreds of children, and have grieved with families at the loss of a precious child.
Through it all, we remain steadfast in our mission; our reason for existence is an unwavering dedication to providing support to parents and families of children with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses in Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito and South Santa Clara Counties.
Our core values and beliefs:
- Every child going through cancer or another life-threatening condition needs a strong and supported family able to hold their hand and be part of the care-giving team.
- When a child is diagnosed with cancer the entire family is in need support regardless of socioeconomic status.
- Every child’s life is precious and each child’s dignity must remain intact throughout treatment, during anticipatory grief and compassionately cared for in the end of life.
- The loss of a child is a unique and special sorrow, and families bereaved by the death of a child need ongoing care and support without limits to time.
- Because of these beliefs, we make every attempt to tailor our services to each family’s unique needs.
Our Services Include:
- Bilingual counseling and family support including grief support for the entire family
- Art from the Heart
- Community education about pediatric cancer, grief and loss
- Direct financial assistance for families facing financial hardships during treatment or for memorials and legacies
- Nutritious meals and groceries delivered to families during treatment
- Transportation to and from medical treatment
- Camp Heart + Hands – A family camp for families of children with cancer
- Adopt-a-Family – holiday gifts and family connections
- Celebrations of milestones
To visit this organizations website, click here.